Re: [LUG] IRC Channel

On Tue, 23 Apr 2013, Neil Stone wrote:

On 04/23/13 11:56, Gordon Henderson wrote:

Neil,

You make a big thing about Matt being in the US. Matt was born and
brought up in Devon. (Wasn't he at your wedding?)
Indeed he was... did I ever say otherwise...?

Am I lying by stating that he lives in the US ?

No, but what's your point?

Don't you think it's cool to have an active GNU/FSF person as a member of our group?

Please remove the QR code advert now.

NO

It's not your server. You're not paying to advertise on it. You have no right to put adverts to your own services blatantly in-front of everyone like that.

So yes, you had had you nice little IRC channel running on behalf on
the group, and we thanked you for it, but when it became unreliable
and we, the group decided to move elsewhere, rather than just accept
it (or even breathe a sigh of relief that you now no-longer have to
provide the service!) you threw your toys out of your pram and are now
causing a lot of hassle for everyone else.

First of all, no one thanked me for it... all I ever got was "it's
broken", "fix it" and similar kinds of comments...

Yes. that's because it was broken more often than not. To the point that Paul even moved his own website off your server because he could not get in touch with you when it was broken. No-one could. You'd vanish for weeks on end, then pop-up and say oh yes, I've rebooted it, then vanish again.

So grow up for goodness sake. Either stay with us, or go somewhere
else. Stop pretending that DCLUG is the "one" channel - it's not, it's
just one other channel on Freenode. The majority of us are using
#DCGLUG as that's what the group is called.

Right now: 16 people in #DCGLUG, 8 in #DCLUG. Including your stupid
Tux bot which was the main reason I left your server in the first
place - you demonstrated just what an idiot you were by handing Jon
Davey the "bomb". Gee, thanks. After coaching to get onto IRC, he
comes online for the first time ever to get help with the Raspberry
Pi, and the first thing you do is hand him a kick-bomb and not knowing
what happened he doesn't re-join.

Some people have no sense of humour...

That's not humour, it's ignorance on your part. How was someone totally new to IRC supposed to know that was a joke? Pretty silly joke too - you'd already pissed Paul off with it.

Hope you're happy with that.

With some people having no sense of humour ? not particularly...

Shame on you. Jon's never been back to IRC.

At least there are some of us here willing to genuinely help - FWIW: I
asked Jon to post his SD card to me and then I did the install, setup,
etc. and posted it back to him. What did you do? You kicked him out of
your IRC channel. Fat lot of use you are.

"I know, I'll join an IRC channel, discover who is in charge and then
provoke them..."

Sorry - where's that quote from? I don't recognise it. Is that your plan?

What was expected really ?

I don't know. I've no idea what you're on about.

Same for Grants email earlier: