Re: [LUG] 8bit email was Re: email tag

On 28/02/13 09:04, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> Heh... in that email you sent, I see:

Yes but it is "sendmail" - probably no one has deciphered the runes to
stop it doing that for a few version ;)

It seems to be taking a liberal approach to messing with the innards of
your messages. I mean if your postman took to rewriting your postcards
in Mock Swedish Chef....

> ...SNIP...
> It's an interesting set of mash-up's. Still - seems to work...
>
> Mostly.

We had that big discussion years back about PGP/MIME, and I think this
sort of cruftiness is at the heart of the problems we had then. Although
persuading some Microsoft mail clients that bits that said "display me
inline" should be actually be displayed inline lurks in my memory in a
vague fashion.....

Than again long ago decided it all needs to be superseded - I was kind
of hoping Google Wave would catch on - but the UI sucked. The basic
ideas on the other hand seemed sound, but perhaps a bit too ambitious.
Wave lives on as an Apache incubator project - looks like there are a
handful of folk left working on it.

Who wants to reinvent email for the 21st century?

 Simon