Re: [LUG] 8bit email was Re: email tag

On Wed, 27 Feb 2013, Simon Waters wrote:

At the risk of wandering off on a tangent I saw a claim many years back that most MTAs handle 8bit fine, so all that 7bit escaping is just so much bloat. Anyone tested this?

Wonder what the list processor makes of:

 - Pound
Î - Ohm
 - Half
Ìâ - Euro

12 Ã 48 = Â

although I guess these are unicode characters, but some have their top-bit set.

From what I gather, although I'm not going to try to construct an email to
test it, sendmail is 8-bit clean to the extent that you can embed a \0 (ie. NUL) in the middle of a message... (But not the envelope headers)

Gordon