Re: [LUG] website - more updates

On 03/01/13 18:34, Simon Avery wrote:
Any help or articles for the site welcome btw,

Right you are.

I've added a couple of things.

http://www.dcglug.org.uk/howto/watercooling

Whilst not strictly linux, it is incredibly geeky. And Heath Robinson.
I ran these for about a year and a half with almost no interfering,
and an upgrade resulted in a lack of GPU block and I reverted to
aircooling.

Back on track with linux, http://www.dcglug.org.uk/howto/weather  -
very short and brief. I could expand with more details and copies of
my templates should there be interest.

Another thing I could contribute would be CCTV with ip cameras and
zoneminder. I have quite a bit of experience with these.

That watercooling is awesome! :-)

Maybe all future houses should be designed with watercooling kits, Ethernet in every room and fibre to the house too :-)

Okay, I can dream.

Still that was a really interesting read, just wish I had the DIY skills to do that, sadly I don't. Out of interest, what is the video quality like over a 5 metre VGA cable? Do you get any noticeable ghosting etc?

I guess there's always the option to upgrade to DVI (or a combination of HDMI cables and DVI adaptors if you want the PCs further away).

When I finally get my dad's dual seat workstation working properly (has sound issues, need to look into another distro possibly which will work with the ConsoleKit modifications) then I'll write an article about it. It's basically one desktop with onboard graphics and a separate graphics card running a pair of keyboards, monitors and mice over two floors to keep my kids quiet when they visit their Grandad. :-)

Rob