Re: [LUG] Debian mirrors, was Strange Problem 2

Keith Abraham <kabraham@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I second everything you say.
>
>As for dependency hell I often had it when I worked with Redhat (and
>Fedora) and SuSE  IMHO rpm isn't in the same league as Debian's package
>manager ie. dpkg and apt or aptitude.

I think, and I may be out of date, that in technical terms rpm may have advantages.
What makes the difference is I suspect the quality of the packages (as in how well
they are packaged), which is driven by stringent processes and standards.

Have to say my use of systems using rpms has dropped to 0. But the main remaining
pain was lack of packages, and Redhat licensing. No licensing pain is part of the
attraction of free software.