Re: [LUG] Debian mirrors, was Strange Problem 2

On 20/12/12 10:45, George Parker wrote:
> Thank you everyone for feedback on this.  Let's not get too ratty
> defending Debian.  Bad Apple, whenever I have installed full Debian or
> Mepis I have ended up with bad repositories.  I know I can go and hunt
> for other mirrors but I am an innocent refugee from that nasty
> Microsoft and when I do an update in Synaptic or whatever and get
> fail, fail, fail then I may think Mr Gates has been maligned.  When I
> ran Mepis for a couple of years I went to the trouble of finding good
> mirrors.  I did not know there is a tool to find the best and I'll try
> that if ever I get full debian installed.
>
> However, what I didn't tell you was that when I tried an install of
> Debian on this new computer, as it was a distro that did give me a
> display, I had problems.  The install told me it had a network
> connection and then gave me a list of about 10 mirrors to download the
> full install from.  I tried them all and it could not connect to any,
> so I installed without and it could not install grub or Lilo. When I
> regain my will to live I may try again.
>
> More on my other problem re display later after shopping (if I don't
> get side tracked into the pub.)
>
> George

This is why we need an alternative venue so we can help people with
installs.   You do make a good point in that this stuff should simply
work, perhaps the experts on the list are like me,  you tend to fix
things on the fly without thinking as its second nature to do
something,  where as newer users lack that knowledge and or
experience.   It could be a case of knowing a particular package to
install that helps make life easier.  or the fact that aptitude is
better at sorting out dependencies than apt-get.

Paul

http://drupal.zleap.net
skype : psutton111

http://www.raspberrypi.org