[LUG] Debian mirrors, was Strange Problem 2

Thank you everyone for feedback on this. Let's not get too ratty defending Debian. Bad Apple, whenever I have installed full Debian or Mepis I have ended up with bad repositories. I know I can go and hunt for other mirrors but I am an innocent refugee from that nasty Microsoft and when I do an update in Synaptic or whatever and get fail, fail, fail then I may think Mr Gates has been maligned. When I ran Mepis for a couple of years I went to the trouble of finding good mirrors. I did not know there is a tool to find the best and I'll try that if ever I get full debian installed.

However, what I didn't tell you was that when I tried an install of Debian on this new computer, as it was a distro that did give me a display, I had problems. The install told me it had a network connection and then gave me a list of about 10 mirrors to download the full install from. I tried them all and it could not connect to any, so I installed without and it could not install grub or Lilo. When I regain my will to live I may try again.

More on my other problem re display later after shopping (if I don't get side tracked into the pub.)

George