Re: [LUG] HP Printer and 2-sided printing

On 13/12/12 14:34, Philip Whateley wrote:

I seem to remember having this problem when I was using Ubuntu 10.04.
The printer I was using needed a more up to date version of HPLIP than
that in the repositories, and I think the CUPS ppd file didn't get
updated. Sorry I can't remember whether your printer is HP or "other" so
the HP related stuff might not be too relevant.

Also take a look at what is configured in CUPS (localhost:631 in a browser)

Sorry I can't remember exactly what I did, but I think I found the
answer(s) by googling "duplex printing not working in LibreOffice" or
something like that.

Phil

I did a Google as suggested. In CUPS I went to the Printer page, clicked on the Printers tab. I have just the one printer so I clicked on it. This brought up a new page with two buttons, Maintenance and Administration. Clicked on Administration. Among the choices was Set Default Options.

Clicked on that and brought up a page of details about the printer. One item was Media Size and one was Double-Sided Printing. I chose Long Edge Standard but this brought up an error message saying that this clashed with the paper size (A4). Searched and found that there was another A4 choice labelled A4 Auto Duplex. Chose that and the error went away.

Saved it, had to give my root password. Then printed a suitable document. This was set up with four A5 pages on two A4 landscape pages. When I printed it did print all pages on one sheet of paper but the second A4 page was upside down.

So back to CUPS and this time chose Short Edge (flip) as the Double-Sided Printing choice. This did the trick.

So now I must watch out for how it works when I have two normal A4 pages to print, on the one sheet of paper. I suspect that I will need to choose the Long Edge Standard for that.

Getting there,

Neil