Re: [LUG] HP Printer and 2-sided printing

On 13/12/12 12:45, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> On 11/12/12 18:56, Brad Rogers wrote:
>> For the most part, duplex printing is a "per job" option.  It is
>> possible to set it as the default print method, but as most of what I
>> print is required to be single sided, that's what I have as the default.
>>

> Just to check I have printed off a couple more on-line free
> crosswords. They each spread over two pages. When I printed them the
> printer did a two sided print for me, as expected.
>
> However I just cannot get this to work when printing via Libre Office
> or even Abiword. It seems that it will work when I am printing using
> Firefox (that is the internet), but not when printing from my own
> computer directly. Strange.
>
> Neil

I seem to remember having this problem when I was using Ubuntu 10.04.
The printer I was using needed a more up to date version of HPLIP than
that in the repositories, and I think the CUPS ppd file didn't get
updated. Sorry I can't remember whether your printer is HP or "other" so
the HP related stuff might not be too relevant.

I can't remember exactly how I fixed it, but I think it involved
manually editing the duplex options to "true" in the CUPS ppd file.
(These are at /etc/cups/ppd/ on my system.) The problem disappeared when
I did a clean install to 12.04, possibly because the version of HPLIP or
CUPS was more recent?

A work around was to create pdfs from LibreOffice and then use lpr from
the command line (lpr -o sides=two-sided-long-edge filename) which
seemed to work.

Also take a look at what is configured in CUPS (localhost:631 in a browser)

Sorry I can't remember exactly what I did, but I think I found the
answer(s) by googling "duplex printing not working in LibreOffice" or
something like that.

Phil