Re: [LUG] HP Printer and 2-sided printing

On 13/12/12 14:34, Philip Whateley wrote:

I seem to remember having this problem when I was using Ubuntu 10.04.
The printer I was using needed a more up to date version of HPLIP than
that in the repositories, and I think the CUPS ppd file didn't get
updated. Sorry I can't remember whether your printer is HP or "other" so
the HP related stuff might not be too relevant.

Yes, HP Photosmart 5220. I had to update the hplip database to get it to be recognised by my computer so I guess I am right up to date with that.

I can't remember exactly how I fixed it, but I think it involved
manually editing the duplex options to "true" in the CUPS ppd file.
(These are at /etc/cups/ppd/ on my system.) The problem disappeared when
I did a clean install to 12.04, possibly because the version of HPLIP or
CUPS was more recent?

I am using Xubuntu 12.04, so reasonably up to date.

A work around was to create pdfs from LibreOffice and then use lpr from
the command line (lpr -o sides=two-sided-long-edge filename) which
seemed to work.

Also take a look at what is configured in CUPS (localhost:631 in a browser)

I have had a look at CUPS in Firefox. But it is not FF which has the problem.

Sorry I can't remember exactly what I did, but I think I found the
answer(s) by googling "duplex printing not working in LibreOffice" or
something like that.

Will Google that too,

Thanks

Neil