Re: [LUG] Small quad-core ARM Cortex-A9 computer runs Windows

On 13/12/12 16:07, paul sutton wrote:
> Just had this posted to the Torbay hi-tech forum
>
> Small quad-core ARM Cortex-A9 computer runs Windows
>
> http://www.electronicsweekly.com/Articles/12/12/2012/55192/small-quad-core-arm-cortex-a9-computer-runs-windows.htm
>
> For those not clicking the link.
>
> It will initially come with Linux 3.x.
>
> http://www.directinsight.co.uk/
>

> Paul

Windows has a long history of being multi-arch actually, something
that's easy to forget with the decades of wintel hegemony.

Itanium support has now been dropped but was present for a long period,
and many years ago, NT was available on a limited subset of Alpha, MIPS
and PPC platforms. Definitely wouldn't have been my first choice of OS
for any of those platforms, but it was there. Lurking about somewhere in
Redmond they must have some cross platform engineers who genuinely know
what they're doing.

On a related note, anyone notice that Samba 4.0 has finally been
released? This means that before long the architectural ports will
filter into linux distros and we'll be able to run modern fully
compatible Active Directory DC's (with SMB2/3, Group Policy,
replication, etc) on stuff as weird and diverse as S390, Power, MIPS,
Arm and any other supported hardware platforms, which is pretty cool. I
don't know if anyone would actually want to do that mind you, but it's
always nice to have options, even if they're a bit strange.

Regards