Re: [LUG] iplayer and debian

On Nov 29, 2012, Simon Waters wrote:

> Is it possible your CPU is not supported by the Flash player?

Yes, very possible. I built this PC in 2002 and the CPU is a Celeron
1.1GHz.  In the system requirements for iPlayer there is, as well as
FF>=4, a CPU of 2.8GHz or better. I can run youtube, though it is a wee
bit jerky, but I thought surely 1.1GHz is enough for radio.
--------------------
On Nov 29, 2012, tom wrote:

> >You must have "sse2" under "flags" to run recent versions of Flash.
> >Although it should be failing with an "illegal instruction" error if
> >that is the cause (if you start it from the command line).

Flags says I only have sse (I don't know how to start Flash from the CLI).

> Is there a non sse2 version of flash anywhere? --oh yes there is
> http://www.howtoeverything.net/linux/issues/adobe-flash-crashesdoesnt-load-older-machines

Ah. When I see "loading..." is it Flash that won't load? I thought it
was the programme. I got the mint version and ran dpkg as root, which
stores it in /opt, but IW doesn't find it; I get "It appears you need
to install Flash". [should it not be in /lib? /opt is not normally in
$PATH is it?]  I have tried to install it on IW with the add-on manager
but that has no effect. Is there a plug-in manager? Sorry to be so
helpless but I need just a little more information. I am sure I am
nearly there ...

Tony