Re: [LUG] iplayer and debian

On 29/11/12 13:58, Tony Sumner wrote:
> Ah. When I see "loading..." is it Flash that won't load? I thought it
> was the programme. I got the mint version and ran dpkg as root, which
> stores it in /opt, but IW doesn't find it; I get "It appears you need
> to install Flash". [should it not be in /lib? /opt is not normally in
> $PATH is it?] I have tried to install it on IW with the add-on manager
> but that has no effect. Is there a plug-in manager? Sorry to be so
> helpless but I need just a little more information. I am sure I am
> nearly there ... Tony

I don't think you are... with a non-SSE2 machine I think you're out of
luck. And don't even think about running an out-of-date browser or flash
plugin just to keep flash compatibility, it's not worth it (I relucantly
maintain ancient flash versions on a small fleet of old PPC/OS X 10.4
machines and it's a big headache). Looks like it's get-iplayer on Linux
or your trusty XP laptop until the BEEB sees sense and joins the rest of
us in consigning Flash to the trash bin of history. I mean, for god's
sake, even Adobe hate flash nowadays!

I'm sure you know this, but just in case you don't:

export PATH=/opt/bin:/some/other/rndm/path:$PATH

to prepend new directories to your PATH statement. Indeed, /opt isn't
included in your PATH by default on most normal systems (it is in Solaris).

Regards