Re: [LUG] iplayer and debian

On Nov 27, 2012, Migel Wimtore wrote:
<snip>
> rocking version 3 of IW/FF is mental, it is way out of date!
> I think we should try to get to the bottom of this.

I hadn't thought of a deep investigation; to begin with I just wanted to
find out what everyone else does. I've learned a lot.

This is what I have found.  My wife's PC was behaving badly in several
ways, of which iceweasel was only one, and I decided to install a new
system. The PC has two disks so I got the latest distro from
debian.org and installed it on the second disk.  The version of
iceweasel you get this way is the latest, which is 3.5.16.  If I try
to play a radio programme with iPlayer I just get "loading" and it
goes to sleep. I tried epiphany and it says "It appears you need to
install Flash". Tried "install now", you get a choice of yum, rpm or
tar.gz. I d/l the tar.gz file and ran it as root with tar xzvf.
Epiphany still says I need to install flash.

m.dinsmore suggested that Google Chrome would run iPlayer with no trouble.
I installed Chrome (stable i386) and libcurl3. It says "You need to install
Flash" and when I probed further it admitted that Flash is built-in but is
disabled. "To enable Flash go to the tech note". I went to the tech note
but it said nothing about how to enable built-in Flash.

Matt suggested mozilla.debian.net and this says that the standard
iceweasel is hopelessly out of date and is not supported any more and
you need the release version. I added the two lines about squeeze-backports
to /etc/apt/sources.list and tried again. I now have iceweasel version 10
so with a light heart I tried iplayer again and it just says "loading" and
goes to sleep. Sigh.

Nigel suggested Flash-Aid and I have not tried that yet. Partly because
I don't have IW any more; I tried to restore the bookmarks by overwriting
bookmarks.html and this killed it. I'll try more things when I get it
back.

get-iplayer looks really good. It is very comprehensive and powerful and
I shall enjoy spending time getting to know it.

As a postscript I can always listen again to radio programmes on my laptop
which runs (hush) Windows XP.

Tony