Re: [LUG] iplayer and debian

Visa vi Chrome being sucky as regards privavy: isn't Chromium the default in most Linux repos? I believe Chromium isn't kitted out with all the Google phone-home features. Personally I find Chrome too rigid, I like a bit (lot) of configurabilty in my bwowzer.
Now that is interesting that Flash is not working in Chrome also, as it implements Flash itself.
While get_iplayer is a great tool, it isn't exactly the perfect iPlayer replacement, as you can't use it to watch iPlayer on the fly.
As far as I know it shouldn't matter which version of Ice Weasel you have, because it should call out to whatever version of Flash you have installed: unlike with Chrome, Flash and Ice Weasel are separate. That said, rocking version 3 of IW/FF is mental, it is way out of date!
I think we should try to get to the bottom of this. Could you try installing the Flash-Aid Firefox plug-in and using it to update to the latest version of Flash. If the latest version of Flash doesn't work, try the other versions provided by Flash-Aid.
Another thing that Flash-Aid will help with is the complete removal of previously installed versions of Flash, in case an old version is gumming things up.
It would be interesting to install the same version of Debian you are running in a virtual machine (very easy with Virtual Box) on the same computer that you are having issues with, and see if Flash works there. That way, potentially, we would be able to pin down your problem to your current configuration.

Good luck.

Tony Sumner <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Many thanks for all the help on iplayer. I did try epiphany and chrome
and had no success with them. I forget exactly why (but I had not tried
ww.bbc.co.uk/iplayer, I'll see if that works) so now I'll go out and
get get-iplayer.

Tony