Re: [LUG] iplayer and debian

On 29/11/12 10:21, Simon Waters wrote:
On 29/11/12 09:48, Tony Sumner wrote:
On Nov 27, 2012, Migel Wimtore wrote:
<snip>
rocking version 3 of IW/FF is mental, it is way out of date!
I think we should try to get to the bottom of this.
I hadn't thought of a deep investigation; to begin with I just wanted to
find out what everyone else does. I've learned a lot.
The IW in Debian stable is old, there is a backport version of the ESR
release which is the same version as in Debian Testing, and several
other distros have gone with (bored of the browser upgrade game - I know
Debian maintainers were given they essentially dropped the other
browsers as too insecure at one point).

Chrome does indeed embed a current Flash player, that might even make me
switch finally.

Is it possible your CPU is not supported by the Flash player?

cat /proc/cpuinfo

You must have "sse2" under "flags" to run recent versions of Flash.
Although it should be failing with an "illegal instruction" error if
that is the cause (if you start it from the command line).

Do other Flash sites work?

  Simon

Is there a non sse2 version of flash anywhere? --oh yes there is
http://www.howtoeverything.net/linux/issues/adobe-flash-crashesdoesnt-load-older-machines - near the comment box at the bottom
Tom te tom te tom