Re: [LUG] Android tablet

On 27/11/12 12:59, Kevin Peat wrote:
Hi George,

On 27 November 2012 09:30, George Parker <georgeparker20@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Any tips from other Android users?

I've had an Advent Vega for almost two years now. Started on Donut (as
I recall) but now on ICS and have used loads of other roms in the
meantime. Getting a bit clunky now but hoping for something more
current from Santa.

I recommend rooting the tablet and installing Titanium Backup
otherwise you cannot really back them up properly. I use Titanium to
sync my backups to Dropbox which works great and has saved me loads of
times when experimenting with things.

As a Gmail and Google Calendar user I think the painless Google
syncing is great but may not be for everyone. I'm not too keen on
Firefox on mobile but Dolphin and even Opera work well.

Kevin

I have a samsung tab and I have to say it is the most single useful gizmo I have ever owned and I really like the google integrated apps. Like the maps which mean I can navigate around unknown cities without having to show my woeful inability to speak anything other than English. This stuff is actually genuinely useful...

I just got a kindle fire for my mum. If you want to see what locked down and crippled means go no further. She just wants it for books, iplayer and maybe browsing as cataracts mean she needs really bright print and re-sizeable fonts. And it was a deal at £99. Yup it can be rooted and turned into a more "conventional" android gizmo. But this is not wanted in this instance

Really I am not bothered about google knowing stuff about me. If you use a supermarket loyalty card Tesco et al will have far more info about you than google. Your bank, credit rating agencies, local gov etc. all sell/share info, much of it much more potentially harmful IMHO. And googles data policies get much more attention and scrutiny than these other orgs.

BTW I think to freeze applications titanium backup needs to be installed? Anyhow it's a great app to have and worth the £1.99 for the ad free version. Very useful for freezing all the samsung rubbish.

As for google play, well it is known that bad apps have appeared on it. But I would be very cautious about getting stuff from other markets. I don't think there will be much difference in what's available and I can't see any particular reason to avoid it just as it sits on a google server rather than one in China or Ukraine?

Simon