Re: [LUG] New distro - and logging off

On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 17:31:32 +0000
Neil Winchurst <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Neil,

>Yes, there is a power switch on the tower, at the back but right at the
>top so not too hard to find. There is also a reset button which I try
>to avoid using.

I'd forgotten about the reset button;  I need a fine nib to press that
on my machine.  Again, like pulling the power cable, it's a last resort
method of _restarting_ the computer.  Having said that, most OSes have
the capability to recover quite well from such drastic actions.

>But if, as I seem to understand from these answers, pressing the button
>briefly is the equivalent of using the menu, won't that just leave me
>where I was with a long wait for the shut down to happen? It will

It might.  The only way to know is....

>simply be a bit quicker to press the power button, that's all.
>Well, when I shut down from this current session I will try it and see.

....just that.   :-)

>Thanks

YW.

--