Re: [LUG] New distro - and logging off

On 18/11/12 14:26, Gordon Henderson wrote:

What I'm suggesting is that you don't bother with all that mouse
faffing, typing, etc. and just push the power button to turn it off.
That's what it's for. If Linux is installed correctly, pushing the power
buton (just a brief push, as as you'd do to turn it on) will send a
signal to Linux and an automatic shutdown will happen.

I mean, really - who actually types halt, shutdown, etc. these days, or
bothers with the faff on going through the menus. If you want to turn
your computer off, then push the power button.

When I want to turn my laptops off, I push the power buton on them. I
never turn my desktop off, so it's not an issue, but if I wanted to, I'd
use the power button on the front.

Gordon

Well, that is something that I have never considered. I have always understood that you should not do that because, when logging off, the computer needs power while it closes down various programs before it is safe to power down. I am sure that I have been told never to just turn off the power. Am I wrong?

Likewise with the laptops used here. First log off via the menus, then close the lid. Am I wrong again?

Neil