Re: [LUG] New distro - and logging off

On 18/11/12 16:39, Brad Rogers wrote:
On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 16:17:12 +0000
Neil Winchurst <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Neil,

safe to power down. I am sure that I have been told never to just turn
off the power. Am I wrong?

As Grant explains, yes.  The downside being that, if your machine locks
up good and proper, pressing the front panel "power" button may well not
initiate the shut down procedure.  It's rare, but can happen.  Under
such circumstances, one has to take the drastic step of pulling the
power cable, or turning power off at the socket where the computer is
plugged in.  Alternatively, some of the better quality PSUs have a real
power switch on them.  Even so, it can be a PITA to reach around the
back of the computer, under the desk, in the (semi-)dark.....

Yes, there is a power switch on the tower, at the back but right at the top so not too hard to find. There is also a reset button which I try to avoid using.

Now that I have learnt about the current function of the power button I can see that it should be safe to use it instead of the 'faffing about' with the menu --> log out --> shut down as I have always done.

But if, as I seem to understand from these answers, pressing the button briefly is the equivalent of using the menu, won't that just leave me where I was with a long wait for the shut down to happen? It will simply be a bit quicker to press the power button, that's all.

Well, when I shut down from this current session I will try it and see.

Thanks

Neil