Re: [LUG] New distro - and logging off

On 18/11/12 14:26, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> I mean, really - who actually types halt, shutdown, etc. these days

Me!

> or bothers with the faff on going through the menus.

Everyone else in the entire world who isn't me or you apparently!
Everyone - and I really mean everyone - shuts down their PC by clicking
on the shutdown option on their desktop, whether they are windows, mac
or linux users. Don't forget that a simple press on the power button
doesn't necessarily mean shutdown+poweroff either - frequently that will
put the machine into sleep/suspend instead.

> If you want to turn your computer off, then push the power button.

My main workstation is shoved back neatly under my desk so far I can't
even see it - like most people I would have thought. I never touch the
power button to turn it on or off, I can't normally reach it! It is
turned on either by a keyboard button, my hauppauge remote control (both
set as power-on events in the UEFI) or wake-on-lan from my phone or
laptops, usually whilst downstairs having my first coffee of the day.
Then there are more computers all over the house and a rack in the
garage - except for the laptops, I don't think I ever press the power
button on any of them.

Each to their own of course though - and nothing can replace pressing
and holding the power button for 5 seconds when you really, really want
that computer shut down pronto.

Cheers