Re: [LUG] Linux - and security

 On 07/11/2012 02:21, bad apple wrote:
On 05/11/12 23:10, Julian Hall wrote:
Just as an aside, I am hoping in February to start on an MSc in
Computer Forensics.. hopefully if I'm successful I will be able to
give input to the subject not limited to my personal knowledge and
prior employment :)

Julian

Best of luck, that should be a really fascinating course.
Thanks! :) I graduated three years ago (mature - well OK older than the others :) - student) with a BSc in Software Development & Multimedia. That was after leaving my last job due to stress. Small health hiccup and now ready to attack my education again, and seeing as this course looks fascinating - http://courses.glam.ac.uk/courses/264-msc-computer-forensics - and starts in February, it seems like a good plan :)
Please don't
feel that you should (or anyone else, for that matter) not contribute
purely because you don't feel that you're not 'qualified' yet - your
personal knowledge and prior employment are just as valid a source of
information as any other experience the rest of us may have! Indeed,
it's the best source we each rely on. There are an awful lot of highly
qualified and decorated 'experts' out there who couldn't find their ass
with both hands and a flashlight (my military friend is an endless fount
of awesome slang).
Thank you again, and agreed! TBH I've never been a shrinking violet anyway so I'm quite liable to offer my opinion at any time regardless of qualification, although usually based on at least some fact or logic, or just experience :) I simply meant in this instance that I would in future have a more detailed knowledge of the area to contribute :)
Some of the most incisive and game-changing insights ever to drop in my
lap before have historically been from decidedly non-expert people who
have come into a situation with no pre-conceptions and their fresh
viewpoint immediately lit on exactly the issue I'd just skipped straight
over.
I've also had my fair share of 'Argh! Why didn't I think of that?!?' moments too, and yes a fresh head thinking outside the box is often very useful. One small example when I did A Level Computing. When coding my project in BBC Basic (a flightplan database) it seems I'd neglected the input fields slightly. I got a friend to test it, and he entered 500mph as the windspeed. My program dutifully rejected that as too fast and I smiled happily. He then entered 'What about Hurricane Gilbert?' (this was a year or so after it in 1989) and it accepted the input! My smile obviously faded rapidly amidst much swearing :)
This is purely a matter of curiosity, nothing else: Julian, your mails
tend to arrive out-of-sync with everyone else’s. Do you have your
machine set to a non-GMT timezone, or perhaps you are reading offline in
batch mode and then relaying through your own mailserver or something?
Just interested, nothing more.
That's odd. I know (as I've mentioned before) I am in South Wales not Devon/Cornwall, but I'm pretty sure we share the same timezone :) I've just double-checked and the box is set to UTC (Dublin, London) - in other words GMT so there shouldn't be any delay. I have T'bird set to individual mails so they should come in order. It could simply be my reading habits - I tend to skim my emails and reply to ones those I need to - interesting or are directly addressed to me.Either that or my mail host (Easyspace) is doing something odd.

TBH I think it's down to the human behind the keyboard, not any technological issue :) Having said that in the last couple of days some of the LUG email has gone into my spambucket - no idea why as it should have fired off my LUG filter and dropped into the relevant folder. If it happens again I'll mention specific instances.

Kind regards,

Julian