Re: [LUG] I've had it with Ubuntu

On 07/11/12 09:08, tom wrote:
> Yesterday my machine updated a few packages and now it wont even run
> unity any-more.
> I have three machines with 12.04 on and they are all borked one way or
> another - mostly OpenGL is totally screwed (they're all Nvidia).
> I normally use XFCE destop but occasionally drop into Unity to try and
> sort out printing and fileshareing which has also gone completely tits
> up as the 'upgrade' overwrote configs in a 'secure' way and then hid the
> mechanism for fixing it in case it scares the user.
> I have no idea what Unity was meant to achieve for someone who actually
> uses a computer to compute and not just as an interface to the net but
> its so badly screwed I'm going to completely get rid of it and move to
> xubuntu unless anyone else is having similar problems with that.
> Tom te tom te tom te tom

I like Xfce, especially now that other popular distros, eg Ununtu,
Kubuntu, Mint etc, are becoming so bloated. I have Mint Xfce set up on
my wife's laptop and Xubuntu on the Daughter's. I need to replace the
current distro on my desktop, Mint KDE, and I am seriously considering
Xubuntu for that.

(Hope to see you on 17th.)

Neil