Re: [LUG] Linux - and security

On 03/11/12 16:49, Martijn Grooten wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 4:29 PM, Tony Sumner wrote:
>> > I use ftp to send stuff to my website. If I should stop what else is there?
> There's sftp, which uses ssh, but I don't think many hosts offer that
> these days.
>
> Some CMS's offer web-based file uploads, but this generally means
> directories have to be writeable by the web server, which isn't ideal.
>
> In most cases, ftp is your only option really. The most important
> thing is never to use it:
> - over unsecured wifi;
> - on someone else's computer.
>
> And, ideally, you shouldn't make your computer remember your password.
>
> That should reduce the chances of someone being able to get hold of
> your credentials significantly.
>
> No to zero though, so if there's a way for you to see when someone has
> uploaded files (using server logs or something), it's a good idea to
> regularly check, and contact your host (and change your password) if
> you find someone else has had access.
>
> Martijn.
>
> PS if you are able to use sftp, all of the above still applies (except
> for the unsecured wifi): the most likely attack scenarios are through
> keyloggers recording you entering your password and through the
> password being stored in a predictable place on the computer. Sftp
> helps against neither of these.

Yeah, exactly what Martijn said with the following extra provisos:

If your host doesn't use SFTP, they're idiots and you should try and
bend their arm into not being useless and lazy. FTP should have died a
long time ago but sadly lives on.

Martijn's threat assessment also glossed over one element, the unsecured
wifi bit - FTP passwords are cleartext, so if someone is on the same
network segment as you any basic traffic sniffing tool can pull your
password/user data straight out of the air, or off the wire. He's still
completely correct, but I'd go further - on ANY network you don't
completely trust or own yourself, you absolutely 100% must initiate a
secure connection over SSH or VPN to a known good system first, and
subsequently use that connection for all further traffic. Even a WPA2
secured wifi network in a reputable coffee shop or restaurant can't be
trusted. I've had a lot of fun with my tatty old laptop in coffee shops
and the like (purely research I should add, for mischief not evil!) and
you'd be horrified if you could see what 4 wifi interfaces with modded
injection-capable drivers are capable of in even vaguely skilled
hands... Let's not forget that quite recently, a simple Firefox plugin
(FireSheep) turned everyone briefly into a Starbucks hacker.

Treat all networks as hostile, you'll be a lot safer.

Cheers