Re: [LUG] Linux - and security

 On 06/11/2012 21:29, bad apple wrote:
On 06/11/12 21:02, Simon Waters wrote:
On 06/11/12 12:49, Simon Robert -Cottage wrote:
Your concerns about internet security are valid and true, but my data is
worthless (I don't mind google serving me adverts)
I don't think our bad apple gives two hoots for your data, he is
concerned that your PC is worth maybe 45c on the botnet market.

45c may not seem a lot, but if the marginal cost of acquisition is low
enough, and it sounds like yours will be low hanging fruit, then it is
nearly all profit.

but it is also true
that most attacks are via compromised websites.
I suspect that by count that most attacks are from compromised end user
computers. Certainly they have a much higher known infection rate, and
they are far more numerous. Thus it would be surprising if this was not
the case.

How many are successful attacks is another matter, but bad apple (and I)
is concerned your machine will swell the bot armies that we deal with
day to day. Even the resources used in dealing with failed abuse, and
failed spam attempts add to the expense and carbon footprint of running
a computer.

Thank you!

Martijn and yourself really get it (although you're both obviously, like
me, a lot more involved in computer security than most).
Just as an aside, I am hoping in February to start on an MSc in Computer Forensics.. hopefully if I'm successful I will be able to give input to the subject not limited to my personal knowledge and prior employment :)

Julian