Re: [LUG] Linux - and security

 On 07/11/2012 02:21, bad apple wrote:
*I suspect I come across as very full of myself sometimes - trust me, I
have made a *lot* of mistakes, and done my best to learn from them. If
anyone is interested in more anecdotes from my personal Files of Fail, I
have, umm, probably an unlimited supply for you to laugh at. Most stupid
thing I have ever done? Well, when I was probably old enough to know
better, I failed to distinguish between a crashed debug session I had
backgrounded with 'bg' (i.e., job 1) with init (process 1). When I ran
"jobs" and saw zombied process 1, I 'fixed' it with "sudo kill -9 1"...
Obviously I nuked init instead of my job #1 and took down the entire
box. Which was a 32 socket Oracle DB server handling patient records for
Kings College Hospital in London, during business hours. The SPs (IBM
talk: service processors) freaked out and dropped the fibre channels to
the SAN, corrupting multiple target LUNs and requiring a 48 hour rebuild
and restore from tape backup, which we had to get from Iron Mountain on
courier delivery at god only knows what cost. The entire IT department
pulled all nighters for the weekend to fix that 'little' mistake (think:
horrific transaction backlogs for things like clinic planning). I still
occasionally send mental thanks to my old boss from that gig for not
actually just literally killing me on the spot. I gave her a bottle of
Ardbeg and was demoted to 1st line (windows) phone support for 6 weeks
to atone for that sin and I have NEVER issued "kill -9" without thinking
at least 3 times first ever since :)
Luckily I've never been in the position to make big mistakes :) I think the stupidest thing I've done (just *after* starting my job in ISP Tech Support) was taking a call from a friend at home and we started chatting. He mentioned a website of interest so I opened my browser to have a look at it. On dialup. Cue screech on phone line and a laugh from him with 'You just tried to connect to it didn't you?' and an embarrassed 'Uhh.. no?' from me.

Mind you one howler our business hostmaster did was change the IP address of the main mail server - the one that hosted all our business customers mail. He told me in the car on the way to work, my immediate reaction being 'You pillock!' and he said the first alarm bell rang when they had the first of many calls from a customer saying they couldn't connect to their mail server and as the DNS servers refreshed over the next day it just got worse.

He didn't do that twice either :)

Julian