Re: [LUG] Linux - and security

 On 06/11/2012 14:55, Martijn Grooten wrote:
On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 2:35 PM, Julian Hall wrote:
Um. If it's a burglar, they're actually *in* the address?  They don't need
any tech knowhow, just the ability to intercept the delivery of whatever
posing as a member of the household.
I'm not really in the know of what's going on in the burglary world
these days, but I believe staying in someone's property for a few days
to intercept incoming parcels is rather uncommon.

I don't think you can change the email address and add a new delivery
address without the old address(es) being notified. Amazon is not that
stupid.
You can add a new delivery address.. fairly sure because I did it while in hospital (I wanted earplugs), but yes that's a fair point regarding the email. Having said that there's nothing to stop a burglar staying around if they know the occupants are away on holiday. Plus if they pay for next day delivery they can minimise possibility of being caught. Yes I know I'm being paranoid/devious but then the criminal classes are often equally devious.
Unless it's part of a bigger identity theft scheme (and unless you are
a prime target), I doubt you can do a lot of harm with someone's
Amazon credentials. But it's best not to wait until it happens. I may
be wrong.
I just picked Amazon as one of the companies mentioned in the original email :)
and I'm sure both your
ISP and hosting company have terms of service that indemnify them against
such use, while at the same time placing the blame squarely on your
shoulders.
I think it extremely unlikely that you can get in serious trouble for
someone abusing your hosting service. Nor can your ISP or host. In the
worst-case scenario (I'm really making assumptions here -- I'm not a
legal expert) they will initially suspect you to have put it online
and if it is really bad they will arrest you, interrogate you and
release you for a few days. That's still bad enough to want to avoid
of course.
IANAL either :) however, I worked in (OK was the Senior Tech for) the AUP team of the ISP I worked for until I left about 8 years ago. It wasn't uncommon for us to get warrants from the police (a Section 28.3 I think?) for the release of personal data regarding customers, so I'm *fairly* sure the first person the police would look at for any illegal activity would be the customer. The burden of proof would *I think* be on the police to prove the customer was complicit in the use, but even if as you suggest, they just want a word, I agree it's aggravation best avoided.

Julian