Re: [LUG] Linux - and security

On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 2:35 PM, Julian Hall wrote:
> Um. If it's a burglar, they're actually *in* the address?  They don't need
> any tech knowhow, just the ability to intercept the delivery of whatever
> posing as a member of the household.

I'm not really in the know of what's going on in the burglary world
these days, but I believe staying in someone's property for a few days
to intercept incoming parcels is rather uncommon.

I don't think you can change the email address and add a new delivery
address without the old address(es) being notified. Amazon is not that
stupid.

Unless it's part of a bigger identity theft scheme (and unless you are
a prime target), I doubt you can do a lot of harm with someone's
Amazon credentials. But it's best not to wait until it happens. I may
be wrong.

> and I'm sure both your
> ISP and hosting company have terms of service that indemnify them against
> such use, while at the same time placing the blame squarely on your
> shoulders.

I think it extremely unlikely that you can get in serious trouble for
someone abusing your hosting service. Nor can your ISP or host. In the
worst-case scenario (I'm really making assumptions here -- I'm not a
legal expert) they will initially suspect you to have put it online
and if it is really bad they will arrest you, interrogate you and
release you for a few days. That's still bad enough to want to avoid
of course.

Martijn.