Re: [LUG] Ark project - test equipment and tools needed

> punchdown for provision of sockets etc - can't say I've ever
> noticed them unreliable or likely to damage sockets (why would
> they, they're standard rj45s?)

The pins are typically recessed about a mm into the body of the
socket. Prior to crimping the pins generally sit proud of the socket
On the socket side a piece of wire is guided by the plastic to slide
on top of the pins. If the pins are too high this cannot happen. Worst
case the wires get bent.

I've never had the pins fail to go fully home in several thousand crimps on solid core. If you have, I suggest you are using dodgy plugs or your crimper is bad.

These are all things that are designed to work together, I'm struggling to think of any other situation where you would have encountered a problem other than faulty parts or tools.