Re: [LUG] Ark project - test equipment and tools needed

Trying to fit crimp connectors to solid core cable is hard work,
unlikely to work reliably and can even result in damage to
sockets/network interfaces.

FWIW: I've always made up patch leads with solid core cat5e cable.

Agree, I do the same. Cheapest 305m rolls of cat5e I can source, which is always solid copper core. Yes, it's fiddly to line them up to crimp but gets easier with practice. IME, it's good at 10/100/1000 for around 120-150 meters (real world above the spec) if corners are swept gently.  Proper crimp tool and proper idc punchdown for provision of sockets etc - can't say I've ever noticed them unreliable or likely to damage sockets (why would they, they're standard rj45s?)

But... As someone who's made up dozens, if not 100's of patch leads over the years, I'd strongly suggest buying them in (they're under £1/meter).

And definitely agree to this. RJ45s are around 10p X 2 a patch, plus cable. Buying them in you get proper boots, a 100% "works" rate, no need to test (ime anyway) and a wider selection of colours (important in some installs). Even without your time costed, it's hard to justify doing short patch leads yourself.