Re: [LUG] Skype and/or Ekiga

On Sun, 18 Mar 2012, Simon Robert -Cottage wrote:

And unfortunately ekigia is not a decent relacement. As for pidgin, forget it. Maybe it will use a laptop built in cam, but it don't see my usb cam that has no probs with skype..

I have made Ekiga work... However I also have the advantage of running a VoIP service that I can run it through... (Which I understand the folks behind Ekiga now do too). The issue has always been (and alway will be) NAT. It's hard to get 2 SIP devices, each behind NAT to talk to each other successfully. Skype achieves it - most of the time - by only using one channel for communication. SIP needs more than 1.

Using an external registrar (such as an asterisk box hosted on a public IP address) can make things easier, but then that remote server carries all your data - more "Internet" for your data to go over... However this is the way I've had most success with my commercial VoIP services. It's hard to take out the third party, even though it's something fully supported by SIP (it was designed to work like that), due to the issues with NAT.

The other issue with Ekiga is codecs - Ekiga to Ekiga is fine, but Ekiga to a videophone is rubbish with H263 - all that Ekiga supports as H263 is "free", but if you want quality, then you need H264 - and there are patches/libraries for Ekiga to support the non-free H264, but...

Gordon