Re: [LUG] Skype and/or Ekiga

On 07/03/12 21:20, Rob Beard wrote:
On 06/03/12 15:48, Neil Winchurst wrote:
On 06/03/12 13:19, Gordon Henderson wrote:
I wonder why it was so easy to set up via Alsa and so difficult via
pulseaudio.

I think it's the way Skype works. You might be able to convince it to
use the PulseAudio OSS emulation, I think it's padsp

So to run Skype from a terminal enter

padsp skype

I've been playing around with Skype recently, I found that on Ubuntu
10.04 it wouldn't work with my Playstation Eyetoy webcam properly and
after much faffing around I bit the bullet and bought a Logitech C270
webcam from PC World (also managed to get it for 9 quid too, Comet had
them in stock in Exeter for £9.99 for the Indigo model so PC World in
Torquay price matched and also knocked off 10% of the difference saving
me an extra quid :-D).

I'll report back on the webcam in a bit, it's supposed to work on Linux,
if it does the 1280x720 resolution on Linux though, well that'll be
interesting to see (I'm half expecting 640x480).

Rob

Just wanted to give some feedback on the Logitech C270 camera. It works fine on Ubuntu 10.04 with Skype. It features a microphone too. The quality is pretty good (it's up to 1280x960, or 1280x720 in widescreen) and good enough for video chat. Okay it's not going to rival a broadcast quality camera, or maybe even a HD camcorder but it works reasonably well in the lighting conditions of my front room. Just wish now that everyone I was chatting to had better webcams :-)

They're currently around £17 on PC World's web site as a web exclusive, or you can get the Indigo coloured one (pretty blue colour on the plastic casing) for £9.99 from Comet (or you could maybe get PC World to price match as I did and get one for £8.99). For the money it's pretty decent and is designed to sit on a flat screen monitor or laptop (fits fine on my TV which was a real problem for my other older webcams with the flat bases).

Rob