Re: [LUG] Skype and/or Ekiga

Good enough for video chat???
Am I the only one who finds video chat really disconcerting? The other persons eyes are always down looking at their screen (or to the side or whatever) so it only works if there’s at least two people at each end where the natural feeling is 'left out' at not having real eye-contact. In a one to one situation where the other person appears to be avoiding eye contact your natural response is suspicion - and I'm getting the feeling you cant be trained out of that one. I'm wondering if video chat may end up the same as car driving - where social mores are not reinforced properly and things fall apart.
Tom te tom te tom

yes is true on a skype call I am always watching myself , bottom left corner, not gazing into the eyes of my true love by staring at webcam. But even though it is horrid proprietory stuff skype (and easyjet) have really changed our gene pool. I read somewhere that the invention of the bicycle ended cousin marriage and interbreeding as people travelled further than the village they were born in.

For us this is skype (and easyjet - frequent flyer Bristol to Crackow). These technologies are wonderful...

And unfortunately ekigia is not a decent relacement. As for pidgin, forget it. Maybe it will use a laptop built in cam, but it don't see my usb cam that has no probs with skype..

Si