Re: [LUG] Computer on time

On Mon, 6 Feb 2012, Brad Rogers wrote:

On Mon, 6 Feb 2012 16:15:59 +0000 (GMT)
Gordon Henderson <gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Gordon,

If your connecting via a BT Wholesale supplier (ie. not LLU) then the
kit in the exchange can potentially think that the line is "bad" and
it will then start to reduce the BRAS profile for the line. So keep
the modem (or combined modem/router if it's one box) on all the time
so the BT kit can keep you up to speed.

I've done both leaving it on, and turning off overnight.  Sure, it made
a difference to the connection speed I was getting, but in practical
terms, it made bugger all difference to the download speeds I was
getting.  IOW, it still took an age for servers to connect, etc.

Lots of factors at play - which I did post about a while ago, however it starts with the line sync speed, then the BRAS profile speed set in the exchange, then the capacity of the BT Wholesale network, then the capacity of the interconnect between BT and the ISP, then the ISPs own network, then the ISPs connectivity to other ISP/The Internet at General, it gets more uncontrollable from there...

e.g. web pages containing scripts/trackers that needs to be run from dozens of different sites.

Or it could just be something as simple as your local DNS reslover running slow... Having one directly on your LAN is arguably the best way - e.g.

e.g.

  gordon @ yakko: dig www.bbc.co.uk | fgrep time
  ;; Query time: 1 msec
  gordon @ yakko: dig www.google.co.uk | fgrep time
  ;; Query time: 1 msec

These are cached - lets try something that's not:

  gordon @ yakko: dig www.theregsiter.co.uk | fgrep time
  ;; Query time: 285 msec

And try it again:

  gordon @ yakko: dig www.theregsiter.co.uk | fgrep time
  ;; Query time: 1 msec

I think browsers cache DNS themselves anyway, but who knows..

Gordon