Re: [LUG] Computer on time

Hi Neil,

I thought it was to enable your broadband
supplier to
download updates during slack time (i.e.
midnight to 6am).

However my node just occasionally (e.g.
every 3 months or so)
gets its knickers in a twist and has
to be cold-booted.

Sorry to offer an incomplete story,
but I suspect that
any one person's knowledge is going to
be incomplete.

Regards etc,
Ray.

Message----
>From: barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>Date: 06/02/2012
16:03
>To: <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subj: Re: [LUG] Computer
on time

>On 06/02/12 12:36, Gordon Henderson wrote:

As for routers - it's more the ADSL modem - you really do
need to leave
>> that on all the time - well, with BT lines
anyway - especially on new
>> lines. Most of them are under
5 watts anyway - it's not zero, but think
>> of that the
next time you fill your 3KW kettle for a cup of tea -
you've
>> probably just wasted the same electricity to boil
the extra water than
>> the router uses all year.

do leave my router on all the time except when going away
for a few
>days, eg over Christmas. I was told by my
broadband provider
>(fast.co.uk) that I should leave it on
permanently, apart from holidays
>as mentioned. I can't
remember why now, but I was assured that it would
>be a bad
idea to turn it off every night and then back on every
morning.
>So I do what I was told to do. Can anyone suggest
why I was advised thus?