Re: [LUG] Computer on time

On 06/02/12 12:36, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> As for routers - it's more the ADSL modem - you really do need to leave
> that on all the time - well, with BT lines anyway - especially on new
> lines. Most of them are under 5 watts anyway - it's not zero, but think
> of that the next time you fill your 3KW kettle for a cup of tea - you've
> probably just wasted the same electricity to boil the extra water than
> the router uses all year.

I do leave my router on all the time except when going away for a few
days, eg over Christmas. I was told by my broadband provider
(fast.co.uk) that I should leave it on permanently, apart from holidays
as mentioned. I can't remember why now, but I was assured that it would
be a bad idea to turn it off every night and then back on every morning.
So I do what I was told to do. Can anyone suggest why I was advised thus?

Thanks

Neil