Re: [LUG] google search rubbish

On 06/02/12 15:51, tom wrote:

> When google lists its results it puts a couple of chevrons next to the
> result and if you mouseover it pops up the page.

It pops up an embedded thumbnail image of the page for me.

> Anyone know  how to stop this

Don't mouseover the chevrons?

> - I guess its preloading them as well
> which may explain why my bandwidth usage has shot up!

Pre-fetching is a feature of the browser, using Iceweasel (FF8) there is
no retrieval from the final website by mousing over of google search
results. i.e. Google thumbnail your site when they crawl it, which is
unsurprising as I don't suppose they want to increase their bandwidth usage.

Chrome has a different pre-fetch strategy, but I don't think the change
in the way google presents results has much significant in this regard.
Certainly we see no evidence of a sudden change in Chrome usage for example.

I expect your bandwidth usage is best assessed by looking at the logs,
and/or a packet trace to identify traffic that you don't log.

 Simon