Re: [LUG] Dynamic DNS

On 19/01/12 04:27, Kai Hendry wrote:
Hi guys,

At risk of coming across as an idiot in public, I was wondering why
don't ISPs don't automatically offer Dynamic DNS services to their
users?

Probably because 99% of people don't need it?

Take my parents and a few of my non-technical friends for instance... they don't need to connect to their PCs from outside their networks, they don't host servers etc and they wouldn't understand it if I explained it to them.

As it happens I setup DynDNS for my mum so I can host a small PC as a backup box on their connection but even some of the technical people I know who use Windows end up using TeamViewer or LogMeIn to connect to their computers which again doesn't require DynDNS.

Then there are some routers which don't support it very well. My Virgin Super Hub doesn't, I have to run a client on my server for it to work properly.

Rob