Re: [LUG] Dynamic DNS

On 19/01/12 07:33, Rob Beard wrote:

> Take my parents and a few of my non-technical friends for instance...
> they don't need to connect to their PCs from outside their networks,
> they don't host servers etc and they wouldn't understand it if I
> explained it to them.

As you say you have to take extra steps to support them.

Let me be clear I think end to end unfettered, no NAT, is desirable for
everyone. Kai is right, I just don't think he realises how bad things
have gotten.

There are security implications, but they are definitely manageable, and
it isn't clear they are worth the opportunity cost.

Do your parents run VOIP/Skype, have you looked at the machinations it
runs through to get through firewalls and NAT, what if none of that was
required would it be a smaller program and more reliable? Of course it
would.

I know people working on peer to peer social networking, and the biggest
networking pain is not the algorithms it is not the asymmetric
bandwidth, it is that to contact most of the peers you have to bust your
way through NAT.