Re: [LUG] Laptop for OpenGL

On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 3:47 PM, Chris Tipney <chris@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Again I will need to get more information from the tutors about what they
> are after in terms of realism, for now I am just trying to get a idea of the
> size of the task assuming for now that the priority is to get the model to
> follow instructions in real time.

Then concentrate on getting the bones to work, if you have a bone
model and can rotate bones about parents and display a simple
wireframe of this with joints indicated then you can concentrate on
the crux of what you are after. Adding a real mesh to the bones later
is just stuff that can be added on to make it pretty (although if you
can find a model to start with with mesh and skeleton you are on to a
winner)

> I know this a 'how long is a piece of string question' but I'm curious to
> know how long it took you to get comfortable at working with  at OpenGL -
> just simple graphics.

Although i've got a reasonable amount of programming experience and
understood 3d concepts fairly well from years contributing to
secondlife, i had stayed away from opengl until i did the avatar
rendering. And we pretty much threw that together in a few weeks from
nothing with no opengl experience. We did it in .net/mono using OpenTK
which provides opengl wrappers for .net (as well as some other things)
but for rapid application development and throwing things together, i
highly recommend it, but as always languages are a bit of personal
taste and experience.

Robin