Re: [LUG] CUPS Mystery

On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 19:00:10 +0100 (BST)
Gordon Henderson <gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Gordon,

> My wife owns her PC. She's entitled to know the root password.

Perfectly reasonable.  I was thinking like a SysAdmin for a large
network, rather than a group of individuals that own their own gear, but
also share resources.

> However, having to enter *any* password just to restart the printing
> system is something I've never had to do on my own system running lpd.

I'm trying hard to remember whether I've ever had to do so just to
restart the printer.  TBH, I don't think I have.  Although it strikes me
as a little odd that a "mere user" can start & stop the printer,
potentially causing problems for other people in the process.

All very puzzling.   :-x

--
 Regards  _
Never much liked playing there anyway