Re: [LUG] CUPS Mystery

On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 14:53:44 +0100 (BST)
Gordon Henderson <gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Gordon,

> I don't think it's proper to expect ordinary users to have to enter
> the root password every time their printer goes to sleep...

Printers that sleep.  Whatever next?   :-)

Seriously, other than admin, users shouldn't even *know* the root
password.

I'm reasonably sure that if you add the wife's user account to lpadmin
group, her own password ought to work to be suitable to wake up the
printer.  This is based on the fact that my UID is in the lpadmin group
and I can use that ID & password for administering CUPS.  It's worth a
try, and a lot safer than giving her the root p/word.

--
 Regards  _
We don't give a damn