Re: [LUG] CUPS Mystery

On Fri, 16 Sep 2011, Brad Rogers wrote:

On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 14:53:44 +0100 (BST)
Gordon Henderson <gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Gordon,

I don't think it's proper to expect ordinary users to have to enter
the root password every time their printer goes to sleep...

Printers that sleep.  Whatever next?   :-)

Seriously, other than admin, users shouldn't even *know* the root
password.

I'm reasonably sure that if you add the wife's user account to lpadmin
group, her own password ought to work to be suitable to wake up the
printer.  This is based on the fact that my UID is in the lpadmin group
and I can use that ID & password for administering CUPS.  It's worth a
try, and a lot safer than giving her the root p/word.

My wife owns her PC. She's entitled to know the root password.

However, having to enter *any* password just to restart the printing system is something I've never had to do on my own system running lpd.

I haven't had time to work out how to fix this issue yet, but if it means finding a way to get lpd to drive her inkjet then that's what I'll do.

Gordon