Re: [LUG] being an ISP

On Mon, 2011-07-11 at 10:31 +0100, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jul 2011, tom wrote:
>
> > I can do all those bits - but I was wondering what it is that an official ISP
> > has over a standard user that prevents all their bits being taken away.
>
> None whatsoever. ISPs have had their racks raided in the past and
> equipment removed. To be properly paranoid, then run a separate line to
> the cottage address - then hopefully all that will keep the 2 operations
> completely separate.
>
> I suspect having a word with your local plod wouldn't be of any use
> whatsoever.

> > know am relatively safe but none of the above will stop all my gear going
> > walkies should something happen - they shoot first and ask questions later.
>
> Then don't do it.
>
> > As for the BBC stuff - even with a full blown pipe iPlayer is a rubbish - if
> > you have the bandwidth allowance then use get_iplayer - you can stream it to
> > a player and so not have to download the hole (sic) program but at least you
> > can rewind before the end of the universe comes.
>
> I do use get_iplayer, but some programs simply don't come over with it -
> (no suitable format/decoder or something), and I've not had the time to
> work out why yet.
>
> However, full-screen iPlayer on an HD program on a 22" 1920x1080 monitor
> is OK from a distance.
>
> Gordon

I have "free wifi" for use in the tearoom and the B&B and have had no
real problems, we have a 1/2 speed Broadband 250/500k

In France I had the unpleasant task of connecting the phone to a "Hotel
du Charme" Wireless and I got first a web page asking me questions and
making me agree to the terms of use ( fortunately and many languages)
Once agreeing to the conditions only then was I given a DNS server
So a script in the DHCP server in the router should work ok?

Deniability! pass the buck to the user.
--
Regards

Kevin Lucas