Re: [LUG] being an ISP

Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jul 2011, tom wrote:
>
>> I can do all those bits - but I was wondering what it is that an
>> official ISP
>> has over a standard user that prevents all their bits being taken away.
>
> None whatsoever. ISPs have had their racks raided in the past and
> equipment removed. To be properly paranoid, then run a separate line to
> the cottage address - then hopefully all that will keep the 2 operations
> completely separate.

The police if they regarded the properties as linked might well confiscate
everything anyway, depending what the scope of the warrant was.

But realistically how often are premises raided for this. I suspect unless
they have your IP address and your credit card details, it won't happen
since it is just too hard to track down and prosecute. And this presumes
that the police will actually act at all, which takes quite a lot in the
virtual world (unless you threaten VIPs or aircraft).

The last place I heard of was one of the Usenet News providers, shipping
unfiltered newsgroups.

I suspect if the police come calling at a GLUG members address for IT
reasons, the odds are in favour of the GLUG member having generated the
interest by their own actions rather than a random person passing through
for a week.