Re: [LUG] being an ISP

On 11/07/11 09:19, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Mon, 11 Jul 2011, tom wrote:

We have a couple of holiday cottages and the guests frequently try and use the Wireless but I tell them to take a hike generally. One has offered me a bit of cash then makes me wonder if it might be worthwhile looking more deeply into it. However it is important that my eqpt does not go walkies if someone downloads illegal porn - or (I think I'm going to be sick) Windows...
Any experience out there?

Yes.

But no experience of being raided!!!

If you can, run a totally separate phone+ADSL connection into the cottages and handle it from there. You can then charge people for the use of it, or simply add a tenner a week onto the price of the let. (Which, when Travellodge are charging a fiver an hour for Internet access is a positive bargian!!!)

If you can't do that, then at the minimum I'd get an ISP that will route you a small subnet - e.g. a /29 which will give you 5 usable IP addresses. (the 6th will be the router)

Then create a separate LAN for your guests to use and make sure that LAN uses one of the IP addresses, with a totally separate LAN for your own use with a different exit IP. (This is effectively how I do my own LAN - the Wi-Fi has a separate exit IP to my wired LAN - not for any particular reason other than some experiments I was doing at the time)

Traffic limit data to/from that IP address too - for no reason other than to stop them taking all your bandwidth (didn't you say you were on a 1GB/month cap a while back? Most people will use that an a few days on an iPad nowadays)

(And given my recent experiences of lack of ADSL, it seems you need about 2.5Mb/sec to stream HD content from the BBC - we had under 2Mb/sec for a while and couldn't watch any)

You're probably looking at a separate router to handle this - e.g. a Linux box with 3 Ethernet ports and a separate ADSL modem, and if doing that, then you can force-proxy http traffic to save a bit of bandwidth and keep a log of (most of) their actions.

I force-cache/proxy http traffic On a project I'm working on and the caches are saving 30-60% of traffic at peak times, but sadly, for the cache, a lot of services are moving to https!

If putting in a dedicated service and not already using an ISP who uses the CleanFeed system, then you might consider it. See:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleanfeed_%28content_blocking_system%29
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Watch_Foundation

Not because I think they're good or worthwhile, but because it might offer you a bit more protection...

If offering Wi-Fi, then change the WPA2 key once a week (or on changeover day) If broadcasting Wi-Fi to a couple of cottages next to each other, then you could have separate keys per cottage and, depending on your router/access point separate exit IP addresses per cottage.

This is requiring some capital investment though - in kit and time to set it up!

However, I think you're relatively "safe" though. You have the name & address of your clients and hopefully something a bit more concrete to back that up (credit/debit card transaction, proof of address for booking confirmation, etc.) If someone were doing something properly illegal, then I suspect they'd not go to the lengths to book a holiday cottage to do it from! I've been in several B&Bs now who are offing Wi-Fi access and most of them don't seem to bother much. The hotel in Madeira I stayed in recently had free (un-encrypted) Wi-Fi for all guests too, so if someone really wanted anonymous Internet access, there are ways to do it without spending a lot of money on a holiday cottage for a week!

Gordon

I can do all those bits - but I was wondering what it is that an official ISP has over a standard user that prevents all their bits being taken away. I know am relatively safe but none of the above will stop all my gear going walkies should something happen - they shoot first and ask questions later.

As for the BBC stuff - even with a full blown pipe iPlayer is a rubbish - if you have the bandwidth allowance then use get_iplayer - you can stream it to a player and so not have to download the hole (sic) program but at least you can rewind before the end of the universe comes.

Tom te tom te tom