Re: [LUG] ubuntu 11.04

On 30/04/11 14:55, Joe wrote:
On Sat, 2011-04-30 at 14:12 +0100, tom wrote:
On 30/04/11 13:34, Joe wrote:
Google on Groklaw and Mono etc . But most importantly read what RMS
says - here http://www.fsf.org/news/dont-depend-on-mono and links...
RMS talks rubbish that 10 years later you find out to be 100% true.
And more importantly where is Novell and any other company that sidled
up to MS?
I'd love to be able to freely write open code in CLI languages - I
miss them terribly  but while MS holds on to them its not worth the
risk.
Tom te tom te tom
I'd say personally it would be safer to stear clear of anything
associated with C# all together. Is there any need to really use it for
open source applications? In my opinion, the functional scope of Python
and maybe even PHP (which is much better than it was) is just as good.
If you want low level programming just use C. Why are the open source
community using C# ? Maybe I'm missing something...

Joe B

The languages themselves are very good - and certain aspects
unparalleled in other languages - unit testing with almost 0 effort.
  From a productivity point of view I'd say certain things can be knocked
up in 1/3rd the time or less of other languages - I coded in C# and
VB.Net for 5 years and nothing else I've tried touches the productivity
I could achieve with them. If MS would free CLI properly I'd be back on
it in a shot.
Tom te tom te tom
Ah I see, so actually what you're saying is I'm probably missing OUT on
something then. I've never used c# or vb.net.. well actually tell a lie,
I have used vb.net before for a client who had an ASP developed site.
But not too a massive extent. For what I use programming languages for I
don't really see much difference if I'm REALLY honest.

I can create things quickly in PHP because I have developed a huge
library of useful functions - which helps with production time. Some
people say PHP isn't an enterprise level language, but I really haven't
been in a situation where I couldn't do something with PHP (although
saying that some of the methods I've used in the past may have been a
bit spaghettified). Beyond that, I always assumed I'd just use Python...

Maybe I'll give c# a proper whirl round one day.

Thanks for info Tom

Joe B

Don’t play with it until its free - its really annoying taking ten minutes to do something when you know you could do it in a couple of clicks! I keep asking other language developers if they can do such and such but if you don’t know what your missing...
Tom te tom te tom