Re: [LUG] ubuntu 11.04

On Sat, 2011-04-30 at 14:12 +0100, tom wrote:
> On 30/04/11 13:34, Joe wrote:
> >> Google on Groklaw and Mono etc . But most importantly read what RMS
> >> says - here http://www.fsf.org/news/dont-depend-on-mono and links...
> >> RMS talks rubbish that 10 years later you find out to be 100% true.
> >> And more importantly where is Novell and any other company that sidled
> >> up to MS?
> >> I'd love to be able to freely write open code in CLI languages - I
> >> miss them terribly  but while MS holds on to them its not worth the
> >> risk.
> >> Tom te tom te tom
> > I'd say personally it would be safer to stear clear of anything
> > associated with C# all together. Is there any need to really use it for
> > open source applications? In my opinion, the functional scope of Python
> > and maybe even PHP (which is much better than it was) is just as good.
> > If you want low level programming just use C. Why are the open source
> > community using C# ? Maybe I'm missing something...
> >
> > Joe B
> >

> The languages themselves are very good - and certain aspects
> unparalleled in other languages - unit testing with almost 0 effort.
>  From a productivity point of view I'd say certain things can be knocked
> up in 1/3rd the time or less of other languages - I coded in C# and
> VB.Net for 5 years and nothing else I've tried touches the productivity
> I could achieve with them. If MS would free CLI properly I'd be back on
> it in a shot.
> Tom te tom te tom

Ah I see, so actually what you're saying is I'm probably missing OUT on
something then. I've never used c# or vb.net.. well actually tell a lie,
I have used vb.net before for a client who had an ASP developed site.
But not too a massive extent. For what I use programming languages for I
don't really see much difference if I'm REALLY honest.

I can create things quickly in PHP because I have developed a huge
library of useful functions - which helps with production time. Some
people say PHP isn't an enterprise level language, but I really haven't
been in a situation where I couldn't do something with PHP (although
saying that some of the methods I've used in the past may have been a
bit spaghettified). Beyond that, I always assumed I'd just use Python...

Maybe I'll give c# a proper whirl round one day.

Thanks for info Tom

Joe B