Re: [LUG] ubuntu 11.04

On 30/04/11 13:34, Joe wrote:
Google on Groklaw and Mono etc . But most importantly read what RMS
says - here http://www.fsf.org/news/dont-depend-on-mono and links...
RMS talks rubbish that 10 years later you find out to be 100% true.
And more importantly where is Novell and any other company that sidled
up to MS?
I'd love to be able to freely write open code in CLI languages - I
miss them terribly  but while MS holds on to them its not worth the
risk.
Tom te tom te tom
I'd say personally it would be safer to stear clear of anything
associated with C# all together. Is there any need to really use it for
open source applications? In my opinion, the functional scope of Python
and maybe even PHP (which is much better than it was) is just as good.
If you want low level programming just use C. Why are the open source
community using C# ? Maybe I'm missing something...

Joe B

The languages themselves are very good - and certain aspects unparalleled in other languages - unit testing with almost 0 effort. From a productivity point of view I'd say certain things can be knocked up in 1/3rd the time or less of other languages - I coded in C# and VB.Net for 5 years and nothing else I've tried touches the productivity I could achieve with them. If MS would free CLI properly I'd be back on it in a shot.
Tom te tom te tom