Re: [LUG] domains

On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 13:32:56 +0000
James Kilty <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Am I right in thinking you want to claim a domain and have anything sent
> to it by email forwarded or any use of it forwarded to another domain.
> This carries the minimum fee. If you set it up as an active domain in
> its own right you pay more, then you can ftp to it what you like. You
> can still forward emails sent to the domain like info@domain or
> webmaster@domain anywhere you want. You then pay according to the level
> of service you want.
>
> I park some domains at 123-reg for very little and just forward
> everything to my home address. Of course, they cannot appear in google
> searches etc AFAIK as they do not like forwarding urls so I am only
> keeping someone else from taking the domain names! I admit I find the
> whole approach of beating the competition by stopping them like this a
> bit selfish but I have seen how domain names can steal business by using
> a similar name. Maybe one day I'll leave Demon and use them in their own
> right.
>
> James
For reasons which I won't bother you with, I have four domains set up.I
have two of them hosted in the normal way. The other two are still well
before their sell by dates so I thought I could make use of them rather
than just leave them lying around.

One of them I have used as a parked domain on one of the hosted ones. I
am really wondering whether it would be more sensible to set the other
one up as an add on rather than parked.

Not having used this sort of thing before I am wondering about pros and
cons re parked and add on domains.

Neil